How to Reduce the Possibility of a Wet Basement
As of September 23, 2011, the annual rainfall for the Harrisburg area reached 59.90 inches. This surpassed the previous record dating back to 1972. The increase in rainfall has caused a lot of headaches for families in Central PA. Here are some simple steps to help reduce the possibility of a wet basement:
- Properly maintain all downspout drains and be sure they drain away from the foundation.
- Check proper operation of your sump pump (if your home has one).
- Make sure that the footer drain discharge lines are not blocked.
- Check and maintain the seals around any basement wall penetrations
- Maintain all grades and swales to make sure that surface water flows away from the foundation
- Make sure that any window wells have proper drainage